Sunday, October 17, 2010

My first Craft Market

Darwin's Happy Yess is holding a monthly craft market, starting at the end of this month. I am really excited. Although by Territory Craft regularly hold craft fairs in Darwin already, I do find them to be a bit on the Granny's teacosy side of craft, or bead jewelry. Nothing against bead jewelry, just can't stand 3/4 of a craft fair dedicated to them. So the Happy Yess' Craft Market looks to be a bit more funky and hip.

My friend Kite booked a spot at the new market :-)
Kite has already been holding market stalls at the local Darwin markets, selling her fantastic jewelry out of hand-gathered native seeds and pods, as well as chaine maille. Her partner makes soaps (that are made of such pure ingredients even my sensitive skin can handle them) and I sew and do crochet. So Sunday 31st of October, the Happy Yess is where I will be.

I have never sold any of my crafts before! So it is all new and, characteristically, I am suffering from angst about it. (What would it be like to be one of those people who cruise through life? Sadly I think I will never know.) But a couple of days dedicating my spare time to sorting through my stuff, and I am pretty organised.

I have:
1) Some high-quality second-hand stuff I found at the local op-shops, which for some reason didn't turn out to fit in my wardrobe upon arrival home.
2) A few op-shop pieces I bought specially to try out some ideas for the market.
3)"Upcycled" clothing - clothes sourced from the local op-shops that I subsequently took out some of my creative energy on.
4) The odd piece of clothing I sewed at some point, that I had been collecting for a trip to the op-shop.
5) My crochet hooks.

And last but not least, my piece de resistance .... I am gonna sell ice-cups! This inspirational idea came from my fave op-shop, which sells ice-cups as well as the usual fair. These ice-cups sell like ... well, hot cakes isn't quite the right term, I suppose. And the bowhunter's club also sell them. If I don't get in early and reserve one there, all the kids have eaten them first!

Some of the examples of things I will put on the stall:

This is one of my upcycled skirts. It was a very bedraggled skirt when I got it, simply the grey part, seams in need of a mend, and an old faded black frill half falling off. I fixed the grey bit, redid the frill much more nicely, and styled the back to emphasis the swishy nature of the skirt. Why is this gorgeous skirt not in my wardrobe? Weeeeeell, I am kinda sick of it, I have had it so long, and it isn't really my style.


This skirt is an example of one I really went to town on with my creativity. A Jackie E cotton broderie Anglaise skirt, in spite of plenty of napisan soaking, some yellow  stains were still on it. So I covered them up with crocheted butterflies and flowers. It is one of my fave skirts and NOT for sale! However, this effect is what I am aiming for on some of the other clothes I am putting on the stall.

Here are some close-ups (gees I am proud of the butterflies! I got the pattern from an old, out of copyright Irish Crochet pamphlet online somewhere.)

And an example of something I sewed from scratch, a silk dupion top. Note I didn't sew the cat from scratch, though


My only real worry with all this is that most of the clothes will be around a size 10, ie my size. That would totally piss me off if I was a potential customer- a whole lot of groovy clothes all in one (rather small) size. Hell yeah it would! Especially if said size wasn't mine!

Mind you if they were my size I would feel like I had found a treasure-trove, like I did at the op-shop the other month - a good dozen sewing patterns, all original edition mod clothing, all in my size. All in my pattern stash now, for the grand total of 20c each.

As well as crochet I am keen to try different embellishment techniques. I got two pairs of shoes, one silver strappy sandals, another black high-heeled mules with a cute pointy toe. I plan to make some fabric flowers to decorate them. Something like this from Little Birdie Secrets:
Or this dear little kanzashi flower,


And just for sheer fun, here is a flapper headband with instructions here I found while cruising the interwebs for the above flower pictures. Maybe I can make a few of these two. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment