Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fabric acquisition

Here are some of the gorgeous fabrics I have been buying up big in lately. Should see me through for ooh, say the next few months!
Stocking up on basics: these two photos are of fabrics I bought in the after-xmass sales. They are all 'ribstop' cottons except for the black (far left), which is a soft fall linen-cotton mix. Having worked with ribstop before, I love it. Hard-wearing, reasonably crease-resistant, yet light, and fairly cool to wear.

These three gorgeous fabrics are my christmas present from my mother. 1.2 m each (enough for a blouse or skirt) of these three craft cottons from the wonderful Dragonfly Fabrics.

More after-xmass sale fabrics. Left: The two stripes (the pink is barely in the picture, bottom-middle) have the stretch running opposite to each other. The pink has horizontal stripes, the mint has vertical. The plain pink is 'seaspray' cotton-lycra. I love seaspray - heavy t-shirt weight, has a high sun protection factor, and wears well, so when I see it on special in a nice colour I nab some. The apricot is a gorgeous soft rayon-lycra knit. Mmmm!
Right: the label said this was 'seaspray' cotton-lycra, but it is a lot softer than the usual seaspray stuff. Hmm.... Anyway, I bought this today because I realised if I only got ooooh, say, another 40cm of another colour, combined with the leftovers of my warm pyjamas ('seaspray' in lemony-lime) I could have even more fun mixing and matching up knits in t-shirts than I have done so far (having cut a few of them out already).
 


More of today's acquisitions: Left, a soft cotton called 'bridie', in turquoise. Centre and right are cotton-lycra poplins. (The colour on the right is lilac. My camera couldn't handle the purple sadly).

Last but not least, my mother bought this for herself. A lovely soft cotton, a beautiful mix of colours from the distance (suits her perfectly!) and close up you see the gorgeous pattern (Can I fit any more superlatives into that sentence???)

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS. Your mum and I have similar taste in fabric. I LOVE the butterflies and hummingbirds and the colours!
    I'm usually partial to greens but this one is gorgeous!

    Donna-pondhopper
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna, it is gorgeous isn't it?! You should have seen mum's expression when she picked it up. I told her she really out to buy it, because of that expression. Didn't have to say it to her twice either :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hummingbird design looks like it belongs on a kimono. I especially like the leafy-green cloth. I have a dress with a very similar pattern, except on pleated fabric - not sure the official word for it - soft and lots of very tiny pleats that require dry-cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those colours, they make my mouth water. You were lucky to find poly/rayon, I looked before Xmas in Hobart, but couldn't find any.

    The fabric for your Mum's dress is gorgeous, and just perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete